Monday, June 6, 2011

Black Dog...we'll miss you more than you know

This weekend, my black dog of twelve years, was no longer with us. If you ever met her, you know what kind of loss we are experiencing. She was kind and loving to all that met her. She didnt ask for anything and was always happy to be with you. I took her all over the country in those twelve years, drug her with me rather, and she had a life more rich than most dogs. I think she enjoyed fishing and being next to me on a salty day at the beach and that is where I would like to leave her.

Luna came to me back in 1999 when things in my life were in a transition point. She was at the humane society in Tacoma, WA, 6 months old and digging at the pen when she saw me. I only went in with my roommates to license their dog and was not expecting to find such a gift. I went home that day, went to work at the point defiance zoo & aquarium and sat and contemplated the adoption with the wolves. The wolves helped me to decide my fate by howling when I asked them what to do and I went and picked up a black lab mix that needed medical help. She was sick and I had help her get a better start in life. From there we lived in assorted places, she got in a dog fight and went through more medical procedures. We traveled the state, fell into different relationships, moved to Olympia, Alaska and then Montana. She lived with me in my car, in a boat, she lived with me anywhere. She went through College, Cancer and Childbirth and everything that I threw her way. She did it all and I can never thank her for it. I gave her the best life I could as a twenty something and treated her like my daughter. When she started to get sick and have her liver start to fail, I didn't know how long I would have with her. She tore her ACL chasing a cat two years ago and it didn't phase her. It was a surprise to me last week, after 6 years of being ill, that the she couldn't pull through anymore. Everything seemed to get bad at once. I knew that after our weekend away in Idaho that she was more than just tired. Not eating and showing more and more signs of terminal illness, I took her to the vet to see how bad she was and then on Saturday, I took her in to the vet for the last time. She was ready and  I was ready to see her not suffer anymore. I am not sure what to do now that my Black dog is gone or how to keep going. I'll think of her everytime I see a squirrel, go on a hike, sail a boat, ride a bike, take a vacation, or just enjoy a beautiful day smelling flowers. She was a special creature and I feel like she made me a better person by having her in my life. Thank you Luna, Thank you. We love you more than you know.

I can't come to looking at pictures right now, but here is what I took before she left us.


Sitting under Luna's favorite tree 

Luna RIP 6/4/2011


No comments:

Post a Comment